As is the case with most things, knowing how to start to do something is most difficult part of the process.
And when it comes to trying to understand how to buy real estate in a community that will be a second home, one may quickly become overwhelmed. How does one begin?
Once you have determined that Highlands, NC is your chosen destination, begin by formulating a picture in your mind of the kind of property you want.
1. Describe as best you can the style and features of the home. Is it new construction with a double garage with a luxury interior and mountain view? Or is it a rustic cabin with hardwood floors situated on a small lake?
2. How many bedrooms and baths do you prefer? Approximately how many square feet? Do you need to accommodate guests with children? Do you prefer having a fireplace and at least one deck?
3. Describe the setting for your dream home. Is privacy important or a low-maintenance yard? Do you prefer seclusion or easy access to town? What kind of features to the land are important to you? Have you always wanted a space for gardening?
4. Do you desire to be in a gated community or in a condo or town home?
5. How much do you want to invest? Will this purchase be a 1031 tax-deferred exchange?
6. Are you interested in doing some (or major) remodeling work? How long do you plan to hold this property?
Once you have outlined your answers to these preliminary questions, you are ready to begin your search. Click here to view Highlands, NC area properties or contact me.
You are on your way!!